1. Columbus introduced syphilis to Europe... Is HOTLY DEBATED: SYPHILIS was present in pre-Columbus America. Yet syphilis probably existed for millennia in Europe; wasn't well understood. Ancient Greeks describe LESIONS similar to SYPHILIS. An OUT-BREAK of SYPHILIS occurred in NAPLES in 1494 during a FRENCH Invasion, 2-YRS after Columbus return; seal the connection.
2. Columbus did nothing significant... Talk of a hapless Columbus accidentally "DISCOVERING" the New World; subsequent genocide of native cultures; there is a current backlash against Columbus national holiday: Columbus Day, celebrated throughout North & South America.
3. Columbus discovered America... If Columbus discovered America, he himself didn't know. Don't IGNORE the FACT that MILLIONS of HUMANS already INHABITED aka LIVED on this land later call the Americas. DON'T IGNORE Leif Ericson voyage to Greenland and modern-day Canada around the year 1000. Until Columbus death, he claimed he landed in ASIA, even though most NAVIGATORS knew he DID NOT.
4. Columbus died unknown in poverty... Columbus wasn't a rich man when he died in Spain at age 54 in 1506. But he live comfortably, in an apartment in Valladolid, Crown of Castile, in present-day Spain; in pain from severe arthritis. Columbus was arrested years prior; accused of tyranny and brutality toward native people of the Americas. He was released by King Ferdinand after six weeks in prison; but was denied most of the profits of his discoveries promised to him by Ferdinand and Queen Isabella.
5. Columbus set out to prove the world was round... If he did, he was about 2,000 years too late. Ancient Greek mathematicians had already proven that the earth was round, not flat.